Saturday, January 19, 2013

Who is it that we worship?

The idolatrous heart assumes that God is other than He is - in itself a monstrous sin - and substitutes for the true God one made after its own likeness. - A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy

Well, I feel like I was just punched in the gut. Tozer has always had an uncanny way of doing that to me.  Ever since I was first introduced to him when I was in college, he has challenged the way I think through his writings.

Do I think rightly about God? Does it matter what I think about God?  Do I really need to think?

If I make God to be something other than who He really is I am committing idolatry.  That is a heavy thought that weighs on me. So, the question is - Do I know God? Do I know who I am worshiping?  I want to say yes.  But, if I am being honest, I am not too sure.

The God I know is the God that I have heard about in songs; or the God that I have heard others talk about in sermans and bible studies; or the God I have read about in books written about Him.  Very little is from a serious pursuit to know Him more in study of His scripures or in time with Him.  Sure, I read the bible and spend time with Him.  But, it seems shallow in hindsight.  I have made God into someone that I can control, someone that makes me feel good. That needs to change.

Per God, He hates idolatry. Ergo, I guess it does matter what I think.

To be a true worshiper of the Living God, I need to truly know Him. But, how do I get from where I am to where I need to be? The beauty of the answer is in its simplicity: Read and meditate on God's Word to me (us) where He reveals Himself. Rely on the Holy Spirit to open our eyes to its (the Word) truth. And, spend time with Him by being an active listener.

My job is to follow hard after God and to believe about Him what He reveals to me through scripture and our time together. See, it's simple. Easy? Not so much. But it is worth the effort.

So, join me on this journey of worship of the ONE TRUE GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment